Buckingham Palace stated that Queen Elizabeth II will be absent from all virtual engagements Tuesday due to mild symptoms from coronavirus.
“As Her Majesty is still experiencing mild coldlike symptoms she has decided not to undertake her planned virtual engagements today, but will continue with light duties,” the palace said in a statement. “Further engagements over the coming week will be decided upon nearer the time.”
The coronavirus was detected in the monarch, aged 95, on Sunday. She had been with Prince Charles, her elder son and heir, this month. The coronavirus was later confirmed to have returned and she was placed in isolation.
The palace didn’t address the possibility that Charles was the source of infection in a previous statement, which was published Sunday. Officials have suggested that the queen could have been infected by other members of the royal household, as there has been a recent outbreak at Windsor Castle. The palace had previously said that the queen was “experiencing mild coldlike symptoms,” and that she would “continue light duties” over the coming week.
She sent Monday a message of condolence to the people of Brazil after deadly flooding and mudslides in the city of Petrópolis, a mountainous region north of Rio de Janeiro.
Buckingham Palace has worked tirelessly to protect the queen against the virus. She was quarantined for more than a full year after she and Prince Philip fled Windsor Castle in the early 2020s.
Elizabeth was administered a coronavirus vaccination in January 2021 at Windsor Castle with Philip. The palace has not confirmed any additional vaccine doses. Charles has stated that he has been fully vaccinated.
The queen’s illness comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to lift coronavirus restrictions in England.
Source: NY Times